Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thoughts on when a generator-less motorhome will start making sense for your use?
Maybe never.

We camp in shady sites in the NE. Even with portable panels and 100' of cable I usually can't find a sunny patch. And if I do I would have to move the panels every hour to stay in the sunny spot. So solar doesn't do much good.

With the fairly large parasitic loads on my coach, even though I have an absorption fridge, I use about 50 Ah daily. Even with 200 Ahs of lithium batteries I would be recharging every four days. The only way to recharge is with a generator or drive several hours to another site.

A portable Honda type might work and I would consider a coach with no fixed generator and use a portable for recharging. Hondas are quieter than any fixed generator except for the new Onan inverter one.

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum