Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
The full synthetic will give you more of a cushion if you had to go further or longer between oil changes but it does cost more so you have to ask yourself if it is worth the added cost for that extra security. I think the synthetic blend would be just fine for you at 7500 miles or once a year.

It also depends on how long do you plan to keep the coach. Full synthetic can provide better protection (but synthetic blends are still very good) so if you want to keep your coach and worry less about lubrication relatd failures it could be worth the peace of mind to you.

I tend to run full synthetic now but I do my own oil changes on my vehicles. I can usually get full synthetic oils that meets the manufacturer specs on Amazon and do it for a lot less than a dealer or shop.

I have a 2018 GMC Canyon with the 2.8L Diesel. It calls for full sythetic. If I take it somewhere, it is $100 for an oil change. I can do it myself for $50.

My snowmobiles call for full synthetic. The manufacturer's oil is $50/gallon. I can get oil that meets the spec for $25/gallon on Amazon.

My Magnitude with the 6.7L PowerStroke Diesel calls for a synthetic blend. It costs $110 at the Ford dealer. I have actually been debating doing it myself and using full synthetic. I'm betting the dealer would charge $150 - $200 for full synthetic. I can get Full Synthetic and a Filter for less than half that cost. The biggest pain is it takes 13 quarts so it just makes the disposal of the old oil a little more of a pain since there is so much of it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum