Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #17
lwmcguire

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
On a related question, what about the transmission and rear differential?

For the newer 6-speed trans the owner's manual says change it at 150K miles. But the schedule for towing a trailer says every 30K miles. Mine is at 60K and the fluid still looks clean.
For the rear end, the regular maintenance schedule says change the fluid at 97,500 miles. The towing schedule says every 22,500 miles.

I'm planning to do a long trip this summer, about 6500 miles in the July/August heat towing a CR-V. I will change the trans and rear axle fluids before that trip. I was just wondering how often the rest of you change the trans and rear axle fluids.
The Super Duties or at least mine had coolers on the rear of the differential. never changed oil in any of them at low mileage and never had a single issue. Back in the day the rear ends would get so hot you couldn't even get your hand close to them, not so today. So given you were carbonizing the oil it did need changed more often and the oil wasn't as good either

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.