Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Amazon/Rivian Even Larger Than GM Van

The idea of a super-sized factory van that could double as a compact Class A motorhome has always appealed to me. Vans are great in many ways but still lack the space of larger motorhomes; although new offerings are no doubt much roomier than older vans. The most popular today is the RAM Extended ProMaster at 463 cubic feet, which eclipses older Ext Ford Econoline like mine that started life around 300 cubic feet. This difference in room is like night and day.

Recently GM announced the electric BrightDrop van with just over 600 cubic feet. It’s not the electric drive that interests me most, but rather the 600 cubic feet that would make a great Class B. Or would it be too large?

Not to be outdone, Motor Trend reported that the new Amazon van from Rivian will be available in 500, 700, and 900 cubic feet sizes. The larger two wider than the smallest. I have not found dimensions yet to confirm how much wider. The largest is 3 times larger than old Ford and Chevy vans, and 2 times larger than largest ProMaster. So much for wet baths in vans.

I know package delivery has recently added demand for such large vans, at a time everything is moving towards electric, but why hasn’t Ford, GM, RAM, or Mercedes designed larger vans with standard powertrains? There has to be a point vans become too large, but I don’t think we are there yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C45CD78C-A506-4F4B-9524-DC1602DD4370.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	28964   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DFCCBEC-5A3B-4EFE-8A4A-E5E4C4131F36.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	28965  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum