Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #8
JGallagher

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
Update:
Yes, as I knew, the house batteries do charge when engine running. I did verify 13.7 with the multimeter at the batteries.

Power pedestal showed 122.5 v so all ok there. Also tested the coach with surge protector removed. Still no power.

Now for the exciting part.

I plugged the coach back into shore power to measure AC input and output at the ATS.
While moving the twisted wires in the ATS to gain access, sparks started flying from the white wires and the end with the wire cap melted!

I'm ok, did not get shocked, just surprised.
I immediately switched the main breaker that did not trip and then went out to shut off pedestal.

If the wires were loose inside the wire nut, would they spark like that?

Pending your replies, its off to walmart/harbor freight for a set of wire cutters/strippers to repair.

Thanks again.
Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum