Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #34
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysteve View Post
OK, I feel kind of silly asking this, but are the 20 amp receptacles always 15/20 amp female? In other words, if I carried 2 25 foot 15 amp extension cords and surge protectors, am I fine? I am confused about the 20 amp rating being needed for the cord, if I am only drawing 15 amps through it.
No silly questions... ask away...
Yes the 20amp receptacles are always the standard household 20amp plugs (GFCI outlet) accepting both 15 and 20 amp male plugs.

The two cords I assume you would plug into the two outlets? (since you mentioned 2 surge supressors..) That will help share the load - with a 20amp max between them (would trip the pedestal breaker at that point...)

The question is really what you want to draw through it... and the length you are using... Thicker wire (lower gauge wire or higher amperage) is needed as either AMPS or length increase.

A single power tool (circular saw, drill, etc) is likely happy on 25 or 50 feet of 15A cord. I do that all the time at home and on road.
A 1000 Watt heater/hair dryer would likely work on 25'... at 50' might be not running at full potential...
A 1500 Watt appliance probably wouldn't be happy on the 15a cord at even 25 feet (math says it only draws 13.6 amps (1500/110)... but things will get warm... and it may not be able to draw all it wants.)

I assume your Ace has 30amp service (at least) - and came with the cord... So not sure what you are trying to do?
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.