Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #44
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Dave, more or less since there are a million ways to do this. I was actually thinking that if the site has 50-Amp service, which is really 2X50-Amp in different legs (phases), then one could split a 50-Amp into two using a "Y" adapter. From that one could run the motorhome on one leg and outside remote kitchen off the other 30-Amp leg.

If a person also purchased a 50-Amp cable to run from the pedestal to the motorhome area before the split, it may help with campgrounds that don't want multiple connections at one site since one would only be using the 50-Amp plug. Or one could buy a second 30-Amp cable and install "Y" adapter at pedestal, using one for MH and other for outdoor loads.

If I were "personally" looking to use as much power as I could get from a single 50-Amp hookup, I would probably take it a step further and essentially build a small power distribution center that would run the motorhome off a 30-Amp breaker, plus another 20-Amp breaker off one leg, and then add 2 or 3 more 20-Amp breakers off the other leg. Each breaker could then power a separate cooking device up to 20-Amps. For people looking to use lots of power outdoors, it's almost like upgrading from 30- to 50-Amp service. Granted not the same but close enough if peak loads come from outdoor electric cooking.

ParkPower Y Adapter 50x30x30 - $83.99
I have not yet been to a site that did not have a 20 amp receptacle and breaker along with the 50 amp hookup.

Although it sounds good in concept the problem I have is if you are running exterior loads off a leg of the 50 amp circuit the extension cords used, in my mind, would then become the fuse and the potential for fire during an overload could occur. I would rather run an extension cord off the 20 amp circuit and its breaker than take a chance on a fire or frying my equipment.

Also, I have not yet been to a park that has a one cord policy so running an extension cord off the 20 amp circuit has not been an issue.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum