Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #26
Guy Lombardo

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau
State: Arizona
THOR #20670
Spare tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Tomorrow I am heading over to Town Fair Tire to order a spare tire and wheel. About $90 for a new tire, a cheap but serviceable brand, and a new wheel for about $110. So $200 for the package.

I think I can mount it on the rear ladder using a couple of 1/2" J bolts. Easy enough to remove if I need to climb up. The tire and wheel weigh about 60 lbs which is doable.

The other thing I am considering is the ability to change out a tire myself. I will need a 4 ton bottle jack and a heavy duty jack stand. I can get both of those for about $75. I have the necessary 1/2" drive breaker bar and socket. Specs say the lug nut torque is 140 ft lbs which is similar to a big SUV.

Being able to change out a tire without calling for roadside assistance is a big relief for me.

David
I wanted to have a spare tire for my Thor Chateau 24 F. I made the mistake of buy one on Amazon for about $165 . They did not specify the weight limit. As soon as I put the tire on it , it began to sag from the weight. I knew then that it would never hold up bouncing down the road. I returned it for a full refund . I went to Camping World and ordered a Roadmaster unit which attaches into the trailer hitch for about $650. This is heavy duty and handles the weight without any problem. It also lowers the tire to the ground with ease.
Ladders on the back of an RV are NOT designed for hold a tire and wheel. I am certain you will have problems in the long long run if you try.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum