Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRacing24 View Post
6.2L V8 12-15mpg
385hp @ 5,500rpm
405tq @ 4,500rpm

6.8L V10 9-11mpg
362hp @ 4,750rpm
457tq @ 3,250rpm

Now let's look at the #'s at normal 60mph 2,500rpm cruising speeds instead of max power.....

6.2L
140hp
260tq

6.8L
165hp
330tq

I'd say the V10 is much better suited for HD motorhome use than the high rpm lovin V8. Looking at the dyno charts shows slightly more HP but tons more TQ which is exactly what MH's need..... New technology sounds good but doesn't look good on paper.
I'd also be willing to bet that any increase in fuel economy will be offset by the need for increased axle ratio thus more rpm for the V8.....
Which dyno charts are you referring to? Can you copy or link them? That would be great information to have.

I'm also curious about the difference on MPGs you compared? Are those for SuperDuty pickup trucks? The difference seems large to me. I wouldn't have expected more than 1 MPG difference at most.

By the way, as far as I know, Ford has only announced the 6.2L V8 for the E-Series Cutaway and Stripped chassis, and not for the F53 chassis used on larger motorhomes which use the 3-valve V10. The 2-valve V10 on the E-Series which becomes the standard has a lower rating:

305 HP at 4,250 RPM

420 LB-FT at 3,250 RPM

I haven't seen power or torque ratings yet for the 6.2L V8 when installed in E-Series van chassis, but expect maximum power may be derated considerably. Torque on the other hand could stay the same or even go higher. There are probably limitations with van that have prevented Ford from offering more power in the past. I'd guess heat related, but that's just a guess.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.