Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #12
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Obviously you can do whatever you want with your car but I think I’d trust Blue Ox’s engineering over anyone’s “armchair” design. If it’s done well trimming the valence for clearance will look just fine.
I actually see it differently. I trust Ford Engineering over Blue Ox's value add marketing for a base plate that is not necessarily required in every vehicle with tow hooks. Some auto tow hooks I would agree are not designed to hold a connection long term because it is simple hook for pulling.

But it is mute point anyway because to do what I want Blue Ox, or Roadmaster would need to design an adapter to attached to the factory enclosed tow hooks to afix their hitch to. I am sure they simple do not wish to design adaptors for each vehicle in favor of selling the high profit margin required base plates.

Just so you know, my current Navigator despite the tow hooks is not 4 down compatible, however; I have been looking at getting a new one and it has the same tow hooks; but they are nicely hidden by Lincoln in the newer models when not in use. If I were to buy one; it would be personal decision; and I am 100% sure I would never cut into my new Lincoln Navigator despite what Blue Ox says. At 6,000+ lbs; it is actually too heavy for my current RV anyway. We just sold our 2010 SRX that was 4 down towable; but it needed custom cutout on front grill as well

I will wait and keep looking, if I could find a very nice luxury SUV with no cut out required, and the front look is not permanent marred by the base plate, I may have some interest in a tow system from Roadmaster or Blue Ox. But thus far our RV is not that big; and we have been able to get around and get buy. Buying a dedicated toad vehicle is NOT an option for us.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum