Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 12:56 AM   #18
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post

You only want to use half of your available capacity, in order to optimize cycle life on the lead-acid batteries. You CAN use all of it. Just not as many times.

As for your AGS, it really depends on how it's setup - what voltage, and how long the batteries have to be reading at or below that voltage, will cause it to start the generator. Your battery voltage will drop under load, then recover some when the load is removed.

My AGS treats flooded batteries slightly different than AGM batteries. Since I have flooded now, it set for Auto which means it will start the generator automatically when only one bar of 3 are remaining on controller. I can set my own value but I believe it is around 12.2 or 12.1 when it starts on its on. That should be the 50% state of charge you refer to. When I go to AGM the 50% SOC will be 12.4v Note: The AGS is set for Auto on time at a voltage reading before it tells the system to auto start. Auto is 15 secs by default

Assuming the solenoid that allows your house batteries to charge off the alternator when the engine is running is working correctly, this should just work without any changes or real effort, and wouldn't require especially good batteries. The alternator makes plenty of power.

Exactly, this will be a huge benefit for us. I can wire it up myself but will have to drill a number of holes through cabinets to get to lower fridge vent section. I may use a heavy gauge 20ft extension cord and hardwire to a inverter receptacle in the slide wall side and leave the female end as it is so it is assessible in the vent compartment. That way I can easily switch back and forth if needed.

Totally understand about wanting to dump the flooded lead-acid batteries! I plan to also, but not until the ones that came with my new RV wear out. (Just can't bring myself to ditch something that still works fine.) More capacity is always good, and should also help you to get through the night during overnight stops with more margin.
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. If I pull this off, I can stop worrying about trying to add a 2nd Inverter, or trying to upgrade the one I have

Attached are my batteries after I cleaned them. I oiled the steel floor after cleaning corrosion and I used the battery corrosion spray on all of the metal contacts. I was surprised with the amount of DI water it took but it was easier to add the water without over spilling with the batteries out. But I am going to AGM. So the next time these batteries come out, I hope to be putting in new AGM Group 31s. It will be challenge to make them fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210407_175139.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	29676  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum