Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #19
IDguy

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Easiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgarrett View Post
I love having an inverter, and did the low-tech method of hooking it up. I ran a heavy extension cord from the inverter ac output to my black tank compartment, which is near the external 30 amp plug. You can buy a pass-through outlet on Amazon, or elsewhere, and when I want to use the inverter I just plug it into the motor home in exactly the same way I would plug in to a campground outlet. All you need is the 30 to 20 amp adaptor, which should be part of the standard motor home tool kit anyway. With this method you must remember to turn your converter off, or it will make a battery-draining loop - battery dc to inverter to ac to converter to dc to battery to .....

This makes all outlets and charging ports live and is extremely convenient. All tv's can be used, and I can use the outside outlets for power tools, which I have done on numerous occasions.

No wiring alterations, or expensive and often undependable additions to the system.

I would only use the inverter for tv, dvd player, microwave (briefly), or music. Propane for the fridge and heating if necessary. Using inverter power for heat or air conditioning is a huge drain on the batteries, but I can go all day and night for the other things. The solar panels keep the batteries up sufficiently for extended boondocking.
My converter has two extra wire posts. So I can hook inverter into the leads from the batteries there, and then plug shore power line into the inverter. Most modest size ones come with standard 110 sockets.

I can disconnect converter either by pulling its 110 plug or with the dedicated 110 breaker.

I only want it for quietly watching satellite tv. I use the generator for anything else.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum