Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #22
ournextstop

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
I have been having a charging issue for some time and was not familiar with the bird as my previous coaches used different systems or did not charge the chassis battery except when engine was running. So I installed the Amp-L-Start to keep the chassis batteries charged as I did in previous coaches.
However, in two instances I have had the genset start (AGS was on) late in the day when we have been traveling all day. Charging voltage should have prevented that.
So for the last several weeks I have been researching the issue. I took a less direct route then Ed, but came up with pretty much same info. The only thing I would add is that based on info on another forum (and from my experience) the bird seldom fails - never heard of one failing - but the Trombetta solenoid that, at the birds command, redirects the charging voltage frequently fails. The OEM Trombetta (114-1211-010) has copper contacts, a replacement (last 3 digits are -020) has silver contacts and lasts much longer. You can order a replacement Trombetta on Amazon for about $45.
It appears my Trombetta was sticking. The other day I tapped it (a repair technique I learned as a kid) and the next day the coach battery was charged as we drove. We are now camped for a while and both batteries are being charged as needed. I will probably remove the Amp-L-Start, it is redundant and only charges the chassis battery while the bird takes care of both. I am ordering a new silver contact Trombetta and will install it before we hit the road again.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.