Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #11
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Thanks for your response Pete. I was going to drive to Ford this afternoon to get the correct oil filter. I remember giving them the VIN on my previous Class C. They were able to pull up the oil filter. For the quart size oil, I will get them at a local Auto Zone or PEP Boys. They will only accept used oil for recycling if you purchase the oil from them. I will also get that oil spout you recommended.

Back to the oil filler location, I will open my hood again and look around some more. On your coach, are you able to easily see the oil filler cap?

Well I have the V10 and my coach is SOB so I’m not sure it’s apples to apples. But on mine the filler is high up on the passenger side. It’s not hard to find but it is right up under the bulkhead so adding oil is awkward. But once I discovered the oil spout in the photo I haven’t had any trouble. In my case I cut the hose down to about 6 - 7 inches and by holding a quart bottle flat and horizontal it works just fine. It helps that the filler device also has a shutoff so you won’t spill anything until your all set. If you’re worried about it I suggest “practicing” with an oil bottle before you break the foil seal and doing it before you drain the sump to be sure you can actually refill the engine. Also, if you plan to do it yourself I strongly recommend a Fumoto valve with a short piece of hose so you can drain without using a wrench. Removing the filter is super easy but can be messy. I use a “pliers” type filter wrench and use a disposable plastic table cloth or a large size dog potty pad under my catch pan. Sometimes I punch a drain hole in the filter before removing it and I often use a large styrofoam “big gulp” cup from the gas station to catch the overflow and keep from burning my hands. With practice you’ll be able to do it in 20 minutes for about $40 using Mobil 1 synthetic. You should lube the front end while you’re under there as well. I don’t know about the new chassis but on the older one there are only 9 fittings all of which are easily accessible. Good luck.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.