Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: The Lingo
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #16
IDguy

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by standerson View Post
We bought a 2015 Chateau 28Z. The Mrs. has been hitting the WWW getting educated.

I walked in the door the other night and got this: "Our cars are too big to be a toad. We need to get something that can be flat towed or on a dolly. Maybe a Honda Fit and somthing like that. Blue Ox, I think, is the best system. If we go boodocking, we probably need solar on the roof. We probably need to replace the front and rear anti sways with something better. Tires are another story. What do you thing?"

"Think I may have to switch to a cheaper bourbon".
A couple thoughts to save money:

1. Demco towbar and baseplate as good and much cheaper than Blue Ox. Buy online. Have a local car mechanic install base plate for 1/4 the price of RV dealer.
2. Jeep Cherokee my favorite tow. You really do want to tow 4 down vs. dolly. Started with 2wd standard trans Jeep Patriot...with 6000 miles for $12,000. It was fine but not as cushy.
3. Solar useless in my area. Maybe yours too. Doesn’t work in fall or winter when I need to keep batteries up for heat. Sun angle too low and days too short.
3. Spend your $ on better lead acid batteries (don’t waste on AGM or Li). And, if you don’t have generator get a portable to meet your needs. 2 Kw if you don’t use AC, 3.5kw if you do.

And my first purchase is always new mattress. Maybe previous owner solved that.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum