Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 11:07 PM   #15
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Interesting issue, but I think 16ACE27 is correct in that most likely the antenna switch is powered from coach battery and the manufacturer would not duplicate power feeds to each battery bus (with isolation diodes) for a TV/antenna switch.

My money is on the ACE too It is confirmed that the USE/STORE switch when in STORE mode should cut off the power being supplied to the Cable/Antenna wall plate.

So if you are still getting power when coach disconnect is off (assuming the coach disconnect latch relay is actually open and you are not on shore power, gen etc) then the only way to power is from chassis battery via the “Aux start relay” as noted on your 12vdc drawing (also called battery isolation relay).
*Not on shore power as 50amp cord is not plugged in. The genset is also not running.

*Chassis power as a 2nd source is confirmed because given the House Disconnect does not stop flow to Cable / Antenna switch, when I turn off the Chassis disconnect all DC power is not ceased, including power that was going to the Inverter as well.

*I see the AUX Start Relay in the schematic but not in the actual drawing so I can tell of it is in battery compartment or not?

I also noted that your Winnebago drawings do not show a chassis battery disconnect as factory equipped, so you must have your own chassis disconnect switch you are using in your tests (or the drawings are wrong)?

When I first bought, the RV, I had the dealer install an aftermarket Disconnect switch for the Chassis. I use on my boat batteries and never had a problem. See picture. I am not sure how the switch could be an issue, because when I turn it off and if in STORE mode, there NO POWER anywhere. So when the switch is Open something else must be drawing from that chassis battery due top some other issue? Right?

One way to test the aux start relay (isolation relay) would be to operate and release the emergency start switch and listen for the relay to operate and release. This assumes that this relay is not already held on (operated) by some other electronic control system used for normal battery charging interconnect control......but you are not charging.

I am not familiar with your coach, but a voltmeter across each battery (coach and chassis) to ground would measure the same voltage on both, if the aux start (isolation relay is on/closed) and battery loads are small (very small voltage drops on battery cabling involved).

Don't follow here?

You could also disconnect a coil control wire from the Aux start relay which should prevent that relay from operating at all......unless its main contacts are fused together. Make sure you reconnect when testing is done of course.
I am not sure where the Aux start relay is?
Here is a test I did do...

With USE/STORE switch in USE mode; I put the Chassis disconnect on OFF. I tried to start and confirmed it would NOT start then I pushed the Emergency Start Button and it started right up even though Chassis battery as off.

So I am still with the fact that my Cable/Antenna wall plate and the Magnum 1000w Inverter can draw power from Chassis battery when House battery is in Store mode, that is assuming the Chassis battery had not been disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_154050.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	30087  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum