Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #21
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Yes both workarounds work. For kicks I was gonna try to see how low the draw was for the LED / pre amp only (using my digital readout in hundreds of KWs from inverter; so I purposely make sure Chassis is ON and USE/STORE in Store mode. And the LED light did NOT come on!!! So I press wall plate button thinking making I had the switch on cable, but it stayed dark. I then go to the Inverter remote and try to turn it on and it does not come on!!! So at that moment everything appeared to be working. I switched to USE mode and the LED came on and I was able to turn on Inverter.

I am curious how your inverter is actually wired. It should be direct connected to the coach batteries via an appropriately sized inverter fuse and not pass through the use/store latching relay for its 12vdc supply.

However, when I turned the USE back off; the LED for ant stayed on, and I was able to turn on Inverter again This was about 2 hours after the Test above in previous post. I don't know if this is repeatable? I may try to start it again with the Chassis battery disconnected to see ?

Maybe the large electrolytic caps inside the inverter are somehow maintaining a 12vdc voltage on the 12v load bus even after the use/store is turned off again? I would assume other coach loads would discharge this capacitor voltage quickly.....but if no other loads exist other than the ant LED and preamp......trivial current loads? What happens if you recreate this entire scenario, except turn on coach lights and other 12vdc coach battery loads? I would also check your inverter 12vdc wiring, and if it is running through use/store I would be surprised......you would need a very heavy duty coach battery latching relay (inverter + coach loads) unless its a very small inverter.

I agree the LED & Pre amp is likely not pulling enough to worry about, but I am very curious now. I also have to account for the fact that if I do got to store mode and inadvertently left the the inverter on, I could be drawing who knows what on the inverter circuit? I don't think the latter will happen because we don't leave the inverter switch on even though it will switch automatically.

Interesting problem and maybe eventually you will find that something else is mis-wired, or is providing this 12vdc voltage via a non-obvious path.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum