Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Battery Health
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
Overtime

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #22656
Battery Health

I have been digging into why my house batteries failed so soon after I purchased my 2019 Quantum C Class. Here is what is found:
The original batteries weren’t “good” batteries. I replaced them with 2 virgin lead deep cycle batteries that weight around 10#s more per battery (not all Powertron batteries are created equal)
The converter is 50A WFCO and has 3 charging modes. I noticed that it would go into equalize or bulk mode at 14.4V but only for a short time. After talking with the rep, the bulk mode is triggered by the DC load on the converter and not on time. It is only in bulk (or equalize, or absorption) mode as long as the converter DC current is greater then 10 ADC.
Given this, i am going to install a Quick Charge battery charger directly to the house batteries that will equalize the house batteries at 14.5V until the charge current falls to around 2 amps. This will take from 8-12 hours giving the batteries a good charge and absorption.
I am going to hard wired the charger on the AC side too. This will allow the batteries to charge when the isolation switch is off and the generator is on auto triggered by a low voltage set point.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum