Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: "Regeneration"?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #34
campy

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I won't dispute that this catch-can solved your problem but.......

If this is an aftermarket modification and not a stock Ford part, I would be concerned the root cause of your problem has not properly been identified and it may be masking a problem that still exisits. I would not be surprised if you had a bad sensor even if you were not getting a CEL.

There are good Ford dealers and bad dealers out there. It could easily be something they were missing in their diagnosis. As jdkirk indicated they replaced some parts only to find out it was a bad sensor in his instance. There are plenty of cases were sensors are bad but don't throw the CEL. A good mechanic will do live data capture on a ODBII scanner and look at wht the numbers are telling him for the sensors, fuel injectors, etc. when there isn't a CEL to point them in the right direction.

The emission systems needed to meet ridiculous EPA standards on today's vehicles.... especially diesels... have a huge impact on an engine being able to run properly. There are several sensors that will impact egine operation and performance if the sensor is not measuing its specific parameters properly.

My 2018 GMC Canyon Diesel was throwing an O2 #1 sensor CEL. I kept resetting it until I decided whether I was going to replace it mself or take it a shop. I noticed that my mileage was dropping and my DEF usage was increasing even though the CEL would not come back for a couple thousand miles.

The last time the sensor tripped the CEL it started causing multiple regens in a row, substantial DEF usage and even more of a drop in mileage.

I could easily see how a bad sensor could cause your oil and carbon deposits issues based on how my engine started behaving with the bad O2 sensor.

I decided to save $500 and replace the sensor myself. After doing so, my DEF usage dropped to the lowest levels since I've had the vehicle and my mileage was terrific again. The regen frequency also dropped significantly. All of those things were severely impacted by a $125 O2 sensor.
Yes, I spoke with Ford. Since they could NOT identify this issue and this was MY 6th separate Ford dealer who all experienced this same issue I was having with NO solution they said it was alright to add this cleaning system. I did NOT modify this pollution system but added another level of cleaning they said it would not be an issue. My system is still as it was but with a way to manually clean. Funny how when someone who has had 6 months of problem free driving with much higher fuel mileage is not believed. Really wonder the value of these forum!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum