Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #45
Bill Johnson

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Shear generates heat. The more shear the more heat. So unless you have a 22 qt oil pan and a huge oil cooler, you are going to coke the conventional oil (oil temp above 270 F degrees). Synthetics do not begin to degrade until over 320 F degrees and some group 5 oil is stable to 525 F degrees (Mil Spec 7808G).
I have a Jetta 2L TDI. The only approved US oils are Mobile 1 ESP 5W30 (available at Ram dealers) and Castrol SLX gold 5W30 (available at VW dealers). Its little 118 cuin engine produces 236 ftlbs of torque @ 1,500 rpm under 26 lbs of boost, so I would say it is stressed. Oil changes (4.3 quarts) are recommended at 10,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first.
I agree, just like Cummins generators say synthetic oil isn't necessary, it depends on how long you want it to last. They don't say not to use it. I keep things forever except for my class c motorhome. It's up to the person are you going to sell it in a few years or keep it a long time

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum