Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
2020 Magnitude SV34 Slide Motor Replacement

While my coach was at the Thor Service Center last last year, the technician said they replaced the rear slide motor because it failed while they were working on the coach. I have been in Florida for the winter since I picked the coach in December and I just got back to Pittsburgh where I have the coach stored inside.

I had not tried the slide since I got the coach home from the repairs in Wakarusa. The slide went out ok but I noticed when I put it back in that apthe rear of the slide had an inch or two gap. I figured no problem.... I'll just resync motors.

I tried the resync procedure for when the slide is extended but that didn't work. Then I tried the resyn procedure with the slide closed and opening 3 inches and then closing it three times. That worked and the slide closed fully on both sides.

That is when my trouble began.....

I tried to put the slide fully out and it would only go out an inch and stop. The error code indicated it was the motor that was just replaced and likely a bad wiring harness. The slide had just got in and out a couple times so I figured it was not an obstruction or roller issue.

I decided to check to make sure the wiring harness was plugged in securely. When I lookd at the motor I was surprised to see a screw protuding at the top of the slide and it looks like it pulled off the plastic top of the new motor. See the pic below....

I watched the motor while trying to extend the slide and it looks like it is spinning a bit until everything just stops. It will then retract the rest of the way closed.

The other thing is while I was watching the motor while trying to extend the slide, it stops before the protruding screw would hit the motor. I powered cycled the 12V to try and reset the controller but that did not help. I'm a little concerned the slide stops now after an inch or two and shuts down.

I decided to buy and keep a spare motor on-hand after Thor said the rear failed (but now I am thinking it was this protruding screw or some other issue that acted like a bad motor the original one did not just fail).

Here's is my challenge...... I know i have to pull the two motor wire harnesses to release the electronic brake. But is going to take some force to push the slide open enough to gain access to the motor retention screw.

Questions for anyone who has replaced a motor on a full wall slide....

- How much force is it going to take to open a slide that big to give me enough to access the motor retention screw?

- How far will I need to open the slide to gain access to it?

I have the coach in its garage so my biggest concern is getting the slide open and not being able to close it again if I can't fix this myself.

I have a message into Thor. My coach is now out of warranty but they did the motor replacement back in December when it was covered and the coach has not been used since and sitting in dry storage. Even if Thor is willing to help, trying to get something scheduled somewhere will be a nightmare. Thor is 6 hours away so that mat have to be the way to go if I can't fix it and they are willing to cover the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 5.51.03 PM.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	30382  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum