Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Came across this article abt “Preventing Tire Blowouts”

https://rvlife.com/tire-blowouts-in-rvs/

Here are the 5 points:
1) Proper inflation
2) Do not overload
3) Right tires for the job
4) Prevent Dry-Tire rot
5) Replace tires that are 6yrs old

Regarding #5...it’s really a shame that I must replace 6 perfectly good looking, lots of tread tires.

That is, Ford chassis has 2016 dated tires (even though Thor build date is 2017).
So I’m now beginning the hunt for 225-75R-16 C rated 3,195# tires.

We’ve discussed this topic in the past, lots of threads on it.

Wondering if Forum members are practicing the 6yr tire replacement rule?
Only a tire engineer can answer the question, as he/she has access to all the info. Personally I see the 5 to 8 year change-out date depending on tire type and manufacture. I do know that the rubber compounds used in tires do harden with age and heat cycles, so I assume time change is a average of suspected use. Having has three rear tire failures of the past 30 years on different RVs, I adhere to changing out the steer tire at 5 years and the rears at 8 years. If you have a rear fail, all you may is have is a thousand dollars of body damage. A side wall failure on a steer tire is something I never want to think about.

I might mention that all tires basically loose most of the ability to pump water off the pavement when the tread depth reaches about 4/32". That is important as when the tire can't pump water off the pavement, the tire losses contact with the pavement and hydroplanes. That is exciting in a car and usually catastrophic in a RV.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum