Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
AxialFlux

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: West Virginia
THOR #21234
Driving with one cylinder down

So long story short, finally getting answers to my engine problems that I posted about awhile back. First off, found out I had a cracked exhaust manifold. My mechanic replaced that this morning, but was still showing a misfire in cyl 4. Checked compression, almost none there. Some more inspection revealed what you see in the pic. At this point he is unsure what shape the valve is in, or the cylinder, and is suspecting it may be cheaper just to go with a rebuilt engine vs pulling the head, etc. He is going to do some research, and call me back. Bad thing is, no matter which way I go, he is booked until at least August for any big jobs.

My question is, how safe is it to drive with one cylinder down? We have a couple trips scheduled in June that are less than two hours away that I really hate to miss. I did ask him, and he said unofficially, he did not see much of a problem, but could not officially tell me it would be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210518_140639_01.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	30627  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.