Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
jasmantle

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ontario
THOR #23492
Battery Connect/Boost relay connection

First post. Be gentle.

Last year I purchased a 2015 Thor 28A, used from CruiseCanada/CruiseAmerica. Overall, very happy. After last year's usage and some familiarity, this year we're adjusting to the experience: What do we need, what do we leave at home, what enhancements do we want. And so it begins.

I've been tracing out the electrical systems. On the 120V side I've found two mis-labelled circuit breakers, and am replacing some outlets with ones which have 12V USB connections. The (3-stage) converter unit works, so it is a keep until it needs to be replaced.

On the 12V side there will be upgrades. The 40W solar panel that came with the unit appears to not work. I'll play with the portable 100W I bought this spring. I'm looking at various units from Blue Sea, Victron, and Renology (battery low-voltage cut-offs, 12v-12V charger, monitor system, battery cutoff switch.

And to the question: I spent some time nosing around under the vehicle and have found that the house battery 12V goes to an insulated post attached to the side of the battery box, and from there three battery cables snake out to the generator start motor, to the converter in the under-seat electrical cabinet, and forward to the engine compartment.

That cable going to the front engine compartment should have a relay/solenoid on it somewhere - when the button on the dash is depressed it is supposed to connect the house battery to the engine battery, so you can boost the engine and get out of the boondocks even if your engine battery has lost charge. I've found the pushbutton, I've found a low-power relay that I think powers the solenoid, but I have not searched the engine compartment for the high-current solenoid.

Does anyone have a similar setup, am I on the right track with my analysis, and where is that solenoid located?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum