Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
This is not a murder mystery.......

The Winegard unit had Dicor covering the feet to seal the screws to prevent water intrusion. One thing about Thor is they put down a lot of Dicor and Dicor does a good job sticking to the roof when it is new and clean.

I have seen so many screws over-tightened on two Thor coaches.... and screws too small in diameter or too short for the job than I can count. I have had to do my own repairs with larger and longer screws all over the coaches.

The unskilled labor is all about doing work fast more than they are doing work right. They grab a screw (may be the right screw or the wrong screw for the job).... then with their screw guns set on max torque they crank away.

If they hit metal and over-tightened the screws, then it would not take much force after some vibration from driving for them to loosen up. If they missed the metal and only hit plywood, the screws would not hold too long given the thin the wood used. Then as the air gets under the Winegard and it starts to lift with the Dicor still attached to the roof membrane.

While the Wingard was lifting and being held to the membrane by the Dicor the roof stretches a bit. Eventually the Dicor can't hold it down and the Winegard is flying off and crashing to road (and hopefully not through someones windshield).

The roof membrane likely stretched enough that it started to tear or it pulled away from its moutning points. Once the wind gets under the membrane that is torn open and it starts blowing around and at 60MPH it becomes a parachute... as the OP said.... and it starts to tear away even more from its mounting points.

Any way you slice it..... its a damn shame.... and this stuff should not happen for the amount of money someone spends on a brand new coach.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum