Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 01:43 PM   #4
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I finished the installation of wider hinges to let the seat back on my Axis couch tilt back further. It worked pretty well.

The back rest angle is determined by two hinges that attach the seat back to the couch's bottom structure. As it comes originally the seat back actually tilts forward a few degrees. It would be much more comfortable if it tilted back about 5 degrees. There is about 6" of room behind it to let it tilt back further.

See the pics below. The first is one of the OEM hinges (left) along side my modified hinge. I used a couple of hinges that I had hanging around which required filing the holes oblong to make them fit, but check at your local hardware store, you may find some that work as is.

Note that the distance between the elongated holes on the right is about 3/4" more than the left ones. That was enough to let the couch tilt back another 2" as seen in the before and after pics.

It isn't perfect but it makes a miserable couch into an acceptable one for me by allowing the seat back to tilt further aft.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofa hinges.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	31027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back rest before.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	31028  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Back rest after.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	31029  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum