Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 2017 models
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #18
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
As I understand from the F53 forum, the 6 speed drives better until it comes to going down the hill. Then, at least as others have reported, the engine doesn't help brake at all. I've learned how to drive my five speed in cruise control and with a couple of specific techniques it is very easy to drive. Having been through the Rockies this last summer (via Ten Sleep), I've taken a real liking to the Tow/Haul mode going down hills.

Puts and takes on both sides of the equation but helping me brake the speed on my 14 ton monster rolling down a 6% grade is fairly important to me.

Enjoy your new coach - we love ours.
I've seen those comments on the braking on the 6 Spd, but the biggest hill in 400 miles is Mt. Trashmore in Miami and they won't let me drive up and down it. I will be interested when I go out west this summer to see if it makes a big difference. In the smaller Axis, I hope not. The tow haul feature of the 5 Spd is really great. I don't understand why the tow haul on the 6 Spd should be much different than the 5 Spd. The 5 Spd shifted 1-2-3-5 up and 5-4-3 down. The 6 Spd shifts 1-2-3-4-6 up and 6-5-4 down. I don't see why Ford wouldn't make the 6-5 downshift of the 6 Spd very similar to the 5-4 downshift of the 5 Spd. But....I have seen the negative comments. I will be interested to see for myself.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum