Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 02:47 AM   #15
Chateau_Nomad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
Item to check is the placement of the muffler and CAT converter under the floor. 1st couple of trips noticed some wrinkles starting up right over the area of the CAT converter (the muffler is in the middle and back further) and felt the floor was warm. Very warm on a hot day but could still put my whole hand on it.

Most flooring is vinyl and it stretches and contracts as noted. But vinyl also has an expansion life to it, the more it stretches and expands when it cools it does not return to it's original shape by a very small amount. Do this many times over hot and cold cycles and.... bubbles, ripples, bumps, etc. This is why it is not glued down 100%.

You don't see this in your home as your house is not at freezing and then to 100F over the course of a year, at least you don't want it to.

As soon as I could I installed the heat reflective 1" under hood insulation right over the area of the converter on the underside. Helps a lot with the heat on the floor in this area. I also did some around the engine area, areas where the exhaust pipes are and the manifolds.

Still see a small amount in that area and some could be assembly dirt also.
Looks like Thor (or Ford?) installed aluminum panels between the frame rails about midway back in ours. I was installing a propane quick connect last week on the passenger side. The propane tank is driver side. They routed propane hoses and some wiring above that panel... which must act as a heat shield from the exhaust.

Your comment about exhaust heat has me curious now - that could very well be a strong contributor to distorted "hillbilly" vinyl.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum