Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
When using the crossfire, if you have a tire go down does the check valve catch it before it would alert the TPMS? Would you only know it by seeing an indication when stopped? Obviously my knowledge of the system is limited but I do understand it balances the pressure between the 2 and the advantage of a single point for adjusting. Was there a particular model that of the crossfire that you and others can recommend? Since I am setting up "systems" I might as well get it all right the first time rather than piece-meal the improvements. From a logistical point did you have to remove the wheels to install or could you manage with them on?
The Crossfire system monitors pressure in both tires and if there is a loss if pressure in one tire, the valve closes to isolate the pressure in the "good" tire. My guess is the valve will close before you get the TMPS alert because there will be a slight lag in time for the TPMS to register the pressure change and trip the alert.

This is the system I purchased so I could use my existing TPMS...

https://truckpartsworld.net/product/...rts-duplicate/

You could remove the stock valve stem extenders and install the Crossfire without removing the wheels if you have a long enough open-end wrench (I bought an 18" one to carrey just in case I ever have to tighten and remove the hose on the road). However, I had to remove the lug nuts and rotate the outer tire to get the hoses and valve to align the best way for mounting.

It was pretty easy..... I just raised the coach in my pole building so the back tires were barely off the ground. Then I removed the lug nuts and just rotated the outer wheel on the hub without having to remove it completely. I then had a little more room to reach the back valve stem and install that stainless steel hose and tighten it properly. Then I rotated the outer wheel so the valve stems were 180 degrees apart and completed the installation.

I think I have some pictures posted in another thread of my install.

I also ditched the Ford stock center hub caps because they are a major pain in the *$! to remove and they end up getting all scratched up in the process. I had to actually rig up a method to remove them based on everything I read on the Ford Forums.

I purchased this kit but only installed the rear because my F-550 has the manual locking hubs so I left the stock front center caps since they had the opening to reach the hubs in the unlikely event I needed to be in 4x4.

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/19-...eel-trim-kits/

The kit looks great and the center cap is breeze to install and remove and the stainless lug nut covers are very nice.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum