Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
This was our first winter and as such I had 30 amp service run out to the RV and we put a small space heater (with a preset at 43 degrees freeze prevention setting) so as to not have to winterize. We have used it as sole heat on a few camping trips, one really brisk morning we needed to kick on the gas to warm things up...after that the space heater managed to hold a comfortable temp.

Doc
Doc, you indirectly bring up an issue that should also be discussed. Even if you could heat your motorhome solely with portable space heaters (could run two heaters on 30-Amp service if needed), it's probably a good idea to exercise the propane heater from time to time. It would be different if the RV was 100% electric, but as long as there is a propane system in place, I think I would run it occasionally whether needed or not.

I'm curious what the owners' manual says about idling these systems for long periods of time.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.