Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Inverter fan???
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
So, when I am plugged into shore power and house battery switch is on, should I turn inverter off? Will my 120 then be running off shore and not inverter? Frig, microwave and such?
What's your Inverter Make and Model?

Here is how it works with most coach Inverters.....

1. Certain outlets are wired to the Inverter circuit to power a critical item like a residential fridge and entertainment items like the TV.

2). The Inverter has a built-in Automatic Transfer Switch. When you are on shore or genny power, the AC voltage passes through the Inverter to provide power to the redsidential fridge, etc.

3) If the Inverter is powered on and you lose shore power, the Inverter's ATS will switch over to use battery power to provide AC to the fridge, etc.

4) If the Inverter is power off and there is shore power, the Inverter can still be on (and the cooling fan running) because AC still has to pass through the Inverter via the ATS to provide power to the fridge and other outlets on the Inverter circuit. When shore power is removed and the Inverter is in the off mode, it will shut down completely.

So the bottom line is.... the Inverter will always appear be on when there is shore power (even when the Inverter control panel is switched to off). But it is not the Inverter supplying power. It is the ATS allowing your shore power to pass throught he Inverter to power those outlets in the circuit.

Now your Inverter should have a 15A or 20A breaker in the Power Distirbution Panel that controls the AC input to the Inverter and the built-in ATS. That breaker could be labeled "Inverter" but I have also seen it labeled as "TV or Fridge Receptacles." If you switch that breaker off and you turn the Inverter control panel off, you will shut down the Inverter entirely. But be advised that means a fridge and anything else on the Inverter circuit will have no power if you switch off the breaker and switch the Inverter control panel to off.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.