Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #16
steve2777

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Siesta 24ST
State: Ohio
THOR #15089
I thought I had found the water heater to be the culprit, but beginning this summer the problem reappeared: every time I tried to start the AC on generator, the generator stalled and displayed "short circuit"

Well, some users over on IRV2 forum hit the nail on the head! A QD3200 generator will only RARELY start a 15k air conditioner because of the 1/6 second amperage surge of more than 3500 watts. I decided to install an EasyStart soft start box to see if it would allow the generator to start the AC, and it worked perfectly! Smooths out the compressor startup surge so the generator can handle it. I'm baffled that Thor, beginning in 2019, sold coaches with 15K AC's, and the QD3200 generator. The only thing I can think of is that they must have equipped them with a soft starter, or customers would be in mass revolt.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum