Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Entry step
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 09:59 PM   #27
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenpigsfly View Post
My entry step just starting acting up. When loading for a trip the step would not extend or retract all the way. There was a grinding sound on and off. Went camping, set up the rig and with the steps fully extended there was a loud sound almost like air being let out of a balloon, but much louder. Made me wonder about the compressor. But nothing else for the 3 day stay. When loading up and turning off the step switch the loud noise started again and the step would not extend or retract without "help". I got out and pushed or pulled it in. Crawled underneath an could hear what I assumed were gears grinding. The motor ran just fine through all of this. After connecting the toad, we enlisted the aid of a friendly stranger to push the step up after getting in and closing the door. We made the 3 hour trip and parked the rig in the drive way. A mobile repair guy said he needs to replace the motor, gear and brain as it is now only sold as a "kit" He said he used to be able to purchase the motor and gear. I will let you know.

I do not know your exact part numbers but I do not think that is correct. I recently bought a new motor to carry in my spares bag and last summer bought a gearbox (that I didn’t end up needing so it’s also in my spares bag). And I recently looked up a controller for a friend. Surprisingly the motor and gearbox were not expensive and were stock items through Amazon. In my quest to figure mine out I learned that there is a plastic gear in the linkage that is easily broken and not separately available. It seems to be the usual culprit.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum