Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Thanks Judge and David,

When I turn it on I hear a fan running and it draws about 90 watts. So it sounds as if the compressor isn't even trying to run now.

EDIT: if I turn the temperature control I can hear it click and a motor/fan noise. But again only 90 watts rather than 700+ that the compressor should draw.
It could be a bad compressor but...... we should determine which fan you are hearing run.

If you turn the temp control to the coldest position and open the freezer door, do you hear a fan running in the back of the freezer (that is the evaporator fan that circulates air in the freezer and diverts cold air to the fridge compartment). If that fan is running, then it would be mean the thermostat is working ok and it is not in defrost mode.

If you do nor hear the fan come on in the freezer, then it could one one of two things...

First..... if the Thermostat / Temp Control unit is bad, it will not let the evaporator fan or compressor run. You can pull the wires off the control unit and jumper them to see if the fan kicks on.

Second.... if the defrost control module is not working properly, then that can prevent the compressor and evaporator fan from running as well. Depending on your model, defrost mode can last 30 minutes and if it stays stuck in defrost mode, the compressor won't kick back on.

Pulling the fridge can help with troubleshooting. You can check to see if the compressor cooling fan is running and if the compressor is warm (which means it should be working if it is).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum