Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
except for some LABORATORY very slight hp gains and an additional amount of noise, they have little/no value as a better cleaner. and unless specific for, say a Camaro, have no value as a kit to get cooler/pressure increased intake charge(and then its STILL minimal...but measurable)

It's a
Seat Of The Pants
Placebo Effect.

They are silly expensive, require cleaning instead of an easy replace, and the oil they use has been under suspicion of causing intake sensor problems. This is hotly debated and oil contamination may not be a culprit. What is true is how a stock filter is not debatable when it comes to potential oily intake parts causing problems.

These are fine for hard core desert or mud racing if the need is thought to be real. On a street vehicle they are Ricky Racer type stuff.
Some people think good chrome supplies the same hp increases.

I have one on an offroad vehicle now. It is there so a filter housing isnt needed and dirt gets captured evenly allowing air to flow evenly under horrible conditions. It has a prefilter sleeve and the vehicle motion shakes 90% of dust off of the very very dry prefilter. A stock filter doesn't have the wire mesh integrity to stand up on its own if it gets wet or catches a rock. The aftermarket KN types are very durable...but add little other than durability.

I know why I don't use them on regular vehicles(I have, but they are worthless and messy...so now I don't).
What has prompted you to use one on a vehicle?
Is there a cold air pickup that routes around the axis front fascia?
Most of the kits sold as aftermarket rely on an intake location change for most of their laboratory gain numbers.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.