Originally Posted by Mo_Mike
After having our transfer switch arc and melt wirenuts right from the factory, I have always tried to remove shore power before staring the generator. I know you "shouldnt" have to, however, an ounce of prevention...
I'm with Mike! When I bought a 5'er a few years back the walk through service guy said to never have the shore power plugged in when starting the generator. He said the transfer "should work fine" but he has seen it cause problems and it's not worth taking the chance. This also reminds me to turn off the AC's, etc. before the switch over. So my routine is to shut down all loads before plugging or unplugging shore power or starting generator. Just seems like a good habit to me.