Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 03:20 PM   #41
Chateau_Nomad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Absolutely and positively agree 100%

This is surprisingly the one thing that I did NOT LEARN before buying my despite almost 18 months on forums. I still have acids stains on a new $3,000 concrete RV Port built just for the RV. Instead I documented in my SOP Manual for my RV all of tricks to water batteries and try to prevent the corrosion which none of it worked and it was a PITA to get and out of that compartment all the time just to clean. Turns out the only trick was to dump the FLA.

Actually there is another lesson learned. For many there is a forgone conclusion that Golf Cart batteries are a magic pill. Well they are, but there are many 12v Pure AGM Deep Cycles models being sold today that not only deep cycle the same as Gold cart batteries; but can exceed performance; and often times will have more capacity related to the size. I am still waiting on someone to list a model/brand/specifications of a GC battery that can exceed 125AH each, maintenance free, last 8 - 10 years (handle 3 to 4 times normal cycles). And to think some people actually buy 4 gold carts batteries to exceed AHs, but only by 20 amps or so
The difference for me was the cost/benefit equation. I think it's beneficial for someone buying house batteries to power their RV to consider:
* How often am I unplugged from shore power?
* What are my power requirements?
* What is my tolerance for battery maintenance?
* What is my budget?

We camp "unplugged" often, but don't require a lot of DC amps. I like having plenty of 12 volt power to operate the slideout, levelers, house lights, etc. Anything like AC or microwave, I fire up the genny.

Budget and maintenance tolerance are in the same bucket for me... I figure if I tolerated changing diapers on two babies, checking water in my RV batteries every couple weeks is a piece of cake... but that's just MY personal preference - and tolerance. Just a mindset I guess.

With that information in hand, I chose the twin golf cart (GC2) batteries from Sam's club at $89 each. They're old school - but are a tried and true solution which fit into my cost/benefit equation. If I get 5 years of service from them, I'm happy. Part of my cost equation was installing enough rooftop solar to keep the batteries fully charged - which included 2 fairly cheap 100 watt panels and an MPPT charge controller to properly charge/cycle them. I calculated loss of efficiency from the cheaper panels, plus being in Ohio. So far, the batteries are held at 13.6 volts full charge - even in winter.

So, I consider my install (for my usage) a success. My requirements/tolerance/budget is obviously different from others. But to get the most from your install, I urge everyone to run through this scenario. You might require/desire a $10,000 lithium/solar setup... or you may be on the lower budget end. Life is full of choices!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum