Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #9
Vibeman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
Follow-up:
I bought a box of Noico sound deadener and a box of Noico Red sound insulation and spent 3 days with my head under, over, inside and outside of the dash and engine compartment. I put the Noico aluminum faced sound deadener on all surfaces of the under dash and firewall that are accessible from the engine compartment. I also used Gorilla tape where needed. This was the hardest part, kneeling in front of the engine working overhead. This was also where the dealership spent most of their time (see my previous post) so many of the gaps were already filled.
I disassembled as much of the interior dash as I could without removing the instrument cluster, I also pulled out the radio, and I cut and stuck panels of the Noico deadener and Noico Red insulation material sandwiched together on the back side of all of it. I also put it on the interior side of the firewall where I could, mostly in front of the drivers seat.
I bought a bale of "Safe and Sound" rock wool bats and I filled all under dash cavities that did not contain electrical components. I also used a can of the expanding foam sealant wherever I needed to fill narrow cavities (like under the defroster plenum) and also used Gorilla tape to seal gaps and cracks. The vertical pillars on each side of the windshield were a source of wind noise but the plastic covers were not removable without total removal of almost everything. They are only stuck to the walls with double sided tape but locked in at the top and bottom by other components, so I was able to pry the tape off the wall paper (some was already unstuck) and pry and bend the plastic panels out far enough to slip pre-cut panels of the Noico behind and stick them to the back of the interior panels. I also poked in some rock wool to fill the cavity.
I had already installed a double layer of Dynamat hood liner under the doghouse cover last year so I left that as is but I removed the cup holder off the top of the doghouse and put Noico under it.
I purchased the heavy basketweave patio mats at Lowes as others have done, although I bought two of them, I removed the seats and completely covered the cockpit floor with only one small seam in the middle under the table pocket.
We took it for a test drive yesterday and the improvement was amazing! Still not a Rolls Royce levels but MUCH better than before. PLUS THE BUZZING NOISE WAS TOTALLY GONE AT ALL SPEEDS!!! This was just a 30 mile test drive but we are leaving on a 500 mile trip in a couple of days for a full test.
I am pretty meticulous and took my time when cutting and fitting all the Noico so all surfaces possible were covered well and stuck down securely. It was a lot of work but now that it is done I am glad I did it, and I now consider my soundproofing project completed!.
BTW, I had to purchase a whole bale of the rockwool but only used 2.5 panels so if someone wants to stop by I will give them a deal on the rest.
-Ken

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum