Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #15
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I replaced the 2 batteries in my 2018 Thor Windsport 29m after almost 3 years. I upgraded our Norcold fridge to a 12v system from JC Refrigeration in Indiana and love it. Problem was the batteries wouldn't stay above 12v over night when boondocking because the fridge gets power from the batteries only. I got AGM's at first and did not see ANY improvement. Napa refunded me the difference on there flooded RV/Marine batteries and they worked OK but still needed more amps. I removed the metal plate in front of the battery and the hold down and access hole piece so the tray was flat and easily installed a 3rd battery. WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also I'd highly recommend the Quick-Fill system. Low water in batteries is a death sentence and it is sooooo much easier than trying to fill them with a battery fill bottle. Just attach the hose, put the end in a gallon of distilled water and pump til it's full. You can replace flooded batteries twice for the cost of AGM's and I swear I didn't see any diff!!!! Bob Trice
You left out what type of capacity battery you had before, and what capacity battery you bought with AGM?

Doesn't matter what kind of battery you purchase; AH capacity will decide what you can and cannot do based on what you need.

I suspect you did note one difference, because a Quick fill system should not have been needed for AGM?

I got rid of my NAPA Dual FLA because I no longer wanted to do water or any maintenance after 1 year (Quick fill or not). I wanted to run a fridge overnight as well. So I dumped 2 60ah NAPA batteries and bought 125ah AGMs; so I doubled my AH capacity and got rid of all the maintenance. Yes I spent $500; but you would have to tell me how much does 2 125ah FLA cost to see ho wmuch more I paid? (if they even make them) Additionally my batteries as pure AGM has 3 to 4 times the duty cycles and can last up to 8 years. One other key point, I raised my AGS settings from starting the genset to charge batteries from 12.2vdc to 12.5vdc because I can go overnight and NOT hit 12.5 vdc with the AGMs, and be assured that I never cycle down to below 50% which is bad for both FLA and AGMs.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum