Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Tire Pressure
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 08:12 PM   #12
jadatis

Brand: Still Looking
State: Europe
THOR #7351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky5924 View Post
I have the EEZE tire TPMS. I've noticed that when I get in the RV to go camping, I start out with the pressure I run in all the tires, 80-82 psi at a temperature say around 75°F. After i drive for an hour or so the pressure will rise to about 95-98 psi and the temperature will rise to around 100°F. I know the EEZE tire is giving a good reading on the pressure, I've checked them hot and cold with a manual and digital tire gauge. I know they are going to heat up and build pressure, just seems like a lot of difference in psi and temperature. Is this normal? Thoughts? 19.5" tire.
Even if I fill in 82 psi at 70 degr F , and it goes to 95psi, then temp in tire is 141 degr F.
So your tmps gives pretty exact,( as you tested) the temperature at the end of the valve, and not of the gascompound in the tire.

I once estimated that if you drive about 55mph at ambiënt temp of 65 degrF with high enaugh pressure for load and 99mph, temp in tire rises to 115 degrF, and with that pressure rises about 10%.

Goal of pressure advice is that the rubber of tire wont reach a critical temp at wich it hardens and beginning cracks are made. This is allowed to happen ZERO times in a tires live.

If no external factors, the tire inside temp is related to that of the rubber of tire, and max inside tire at ambiënt temp of 65 degrF, is allowed to reach about 140 degrF.

So if you did not have those external factors, like sunshine on tires, severe braking or hot ambiënt temp or roadsurface, the 141 degrF in best case scenario yust wont overheat the rubber.

But worst case scenario , so 80 psi at 75 degrF, goes to 98 psi, gives 177 degrF, and that must be to hot without external factors.

Then its wise to review the cold pressure-advice, it will need higher cold pressure to produce lesser heat, so temp of rubber stays colder, and with that lower temp in tire, so less % pressure rising, but warm pressure will even be higher.
No problem that high pressure, tire is designed for that, the temperature of rubber of tire is what its all done for.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum