Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #19
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenson View Post
Well, I think I should have listened closer to the folks on this form. I am now the proud owner of a piece of crap Thor. Did my PDI. Found lots of little stuff wrong that I had them fix before I left. Overall general cosmetics and alignment.

But, the best part is now that I got it home, levelers down, my stupid slide is now partially extended throwing a motor short code (8 flashes). And to top it off, for some reason I am also getting a shore power error and I cannot plug in to charge my batteries. Will spend some time tomorrow to continue to troubleshoot and reset the controller and hopefully get my slide back in.

I know I know. Should have went with a quality motor home. Sorry, but what a frustrating way to start. I even had them extend and retract the slide 3 times during the PDI.

Eric
I know that can be very frustrating.... especially after just dropping six figues on something brand new. With the demand created from the pandemic, more people are reporting more issues sooner because they are trying to get them out faster than ever before.

The Slide Controller error code means the controller cannot measure the rotations of Motor 1 or Motor 2 (depending on the code) so the slide can and will get out of Sync. This can be caused by a bad connection or a pinched wire up at the top of the motor (this does happen). The wires coming out of the motor should have shrink wrap around them or electrical tape but they do not so a wire up there can get pinched and damaged. It could also be a bad motor.

I had this error code happen when a screw in the slide box was improperly installed and the head was sticking out and it knocked the top off the motor that contained the sensors that meaure the number of motor RPM's to keep the slide motors in sync.

Now it is possible if the slide was extended multiple times (even before your PDI) and the Extend / Retract button was not being held a full 5 seconds after the motors stopped, it could have gotten out of sync on its own.

It is also possible there is a loose connection. If the slide is not fully extended, you should be able to get to the top of the motors insde to check to see that the wiring harness is fully connected to the motor. You may have to pull back the bulb seal a little to get to it.

First, I would pull the the Motor 1 and Motor 2 harness connection at the controller and reseat them in case one is loose. Then I would do the same at each motor.

Then I would do the manual ovveride procedure below and see if you can get the slide fully retracted. When you do the 7th press of the reset button and hold for 5 seconds, make sure the lights keep flashing after you release it. You will have about 2 minutes in override mode if the lights are flashing.

Electronic Manual Override (Controllers C-1 and C-2 Only)

1. Press the mode button (Fig. 22) on the controller six times and hold on the seventh for five seconds to enter electronic manual override mode.

2. Use the slide-out switch (Fig. 1) to move both motors in or out.
NOTE: Over-current and short circuit detection are still enabled. Electronic manual override provides 12V DC directly to both motors.

3. To exit the electronic manual override mode, press and hold the mode button until the LEDs begin to blink simultaneously. Exiting the override mode resets the motor positions. Motors will have to be resynchronized.

NOTE: During the manual override procedure the motors are not synchronized. Visually watch the room. If one side is moving significantly slower than the other (or not at all) then immediately stop and follow the Motor Disengagement Procedure.

If you manage to get the slide closed, I would then get out of manual override mode amd check to see if the error code is flashing. The I would do the resyn procedure.

Synchronizing the Slide-Out Motors

1. Fully extend the slide room using the switch. Keep the switch engaged 5 seconds after the motors shut down on their own.

2. Retract the room 2 - 3 inches.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until both motors shut down at the same time. In many cases, three or four repetitions are necessary to synchronize the system.

4. Fully extend the slide-out and keep the switch engaged until the motors shut down on their own. Fully retract the slide-out, again keeping the switch engaged for 5 seconds after the motors shut down on their own. If both motors shut down at the same time at full extension and full retraction, the room is properly synchronized. If they do not shut down at the same time, repeat the process until they do.

You will need to expand upon the shore power error. Where is the error occuring and what does the error say?

I installed a hardwired Progessive EMS after the transfer switch and have a display that will give me error codes if there are issues with shore power or generator power but the stock Magnitudes / Omnis didn't have one from the factory (at least before the 2022 models).

If you run the generator, do you have normal A power? If you do, that will give you a way to charge your batteries.

As an FYI..... when I installed my EMS, I found a bunch of construction debris in my transfer switch when I removed the cover. Including a few screws. Not the best thing to have screws rolling around somewhere 120V is being applied.

Now all that being said......... you will want to call your dealer but you may need Thor's Customer Service to help troubleshoot as well. It is generally very good but poeple are reporting long delays in getting to people because of all the demand the flood of newbies has created.

For the slide problem, I would contact LCI directly. I have found their customer service to be excellent and they are very helpful.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum