Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #20
knucklehead

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You got 142ahs capacity available you should be golden, especially if adding water or maintenance is a none issue for you Lots of people like the FLA because they know them inside & out and don't mind the hassle.

In my case, before my AGMs; I only had 60ah capacity available I struggled to get through the night, throw it my disdain for adding water, the spillage the corrosion going in and out of that compartment, I just decided to solve all my problems with one swoop. I don't have the luxury as you to have 3 batteries, so I got the best AGMs with the most ah Capacity available (125ah each) which happens to be the Vmax Tanks.

With that said; the Duracells Grp 31 was my plan @ $179 each and I think 110ah. But what happened is that I started learning about the differences between Dual Purpose AGMs and Pure AGMs.

So I call Vmax tanks asking the exact same question you did about the charging. A real Technical person answered the phone, not only answering but explaining how it works. They do have special charging requirements; so it depends on your converter. I have the Progressive Dynamics with the Intelli Wizard Program. I suggest getting your converter model number and calling them. They stated that improper charging is the #1 reason the batteries fail.

In your case, it sounds like your batteries were defective because any charger should get at least 13vdc and charge up those batteries. Put a voltmeter to confirm the output of your charger on the batteries.

What they are looking for in Converters are the ones that have programs that automatically detect when and RV is being used or in storage. It adjusts the output based on the calculated stage of the batteries based on usage to avoid overcharging which can kill a AGM battery.

They offered me a discount over the Amazon pricing, and I was so pleased with the help and info; that the $60 more I paid over the AGM at Costco was a non issue. Plus I got 125ah vs the 110ah, pure deep cycle so they rated for 8 years without the automotive post. My compartment is tight; so I didn't want the extra studs if I could avoid.
Thanks for the info and the brand. When I need to replace the FLA's I have now, I will definitely look into them and call tech support. They sound like what I wanted. I had issue's with filling them with water until I got the Quik-Fill system. Corrosion was a problem too! Maybe 3 AGM's and the proper converter for charging is the answer. Gonna do 3 days of boon-docking mid August so that will be the first real test. Thanks for the info!! Bob

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum