Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Generators
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #23
Bob Nodine

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Just finished a 2500 open Honda gen for buddy. He said see if you can fix or toss. After 2.5 hours cleaning carb passages and freeing gov linkage it starts first pull and runs great. This unit was clogged with pre ethanol gas. It sat that long.

I have worked on many gen sets. Usually issues arise from lack of use or secondly lack of maintenance.

Ethanol gas is not great in anything that sits, best option is to exercise unit. I start everything at least monthly and every 2 weeks during hurricane season. We use our rv frequent enough that is never an issue though Onan only has 540 hours in 5 years of use. Have a champion 3500 on racecar trailer that likely has over 5000 hours. Even have 5000 generac flathead from 1992 (Hurricane Andrew) that runs fine on ethanol gas. Cycle fuel through them often enough, minimal issues. I use pump premium from a top tier station in my 10 sec drag car with no issues as well. Leftover premium from each race weekend goes into RV and generators.
In my John-Deer, string trimmer, leaf blower, and Honda 2000 generator I use 100% gasoline. Start the generator once a month and every other month plug it into an electric heater to heat up the windings. That helps drive moisture out of the windings.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum