Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
In a previous post I commented that on the way home it felt somewhat loose in the steering. A comment was that it should drive like a Cadillac but of course that's a relative comment not exact. We're on a trip up in the NC mountains and I'll describe the handling as some oversteer tendency and loose. Obvious push by larger vehicles that pass. It's not dangerous by any means but annoying and has an increased workload driving. I know that the chassis are supposedly set/aligned by the Ford factory before delivery to the RV manufacturer and that Thor in this case makes no effort or alignment after the house is built on it. My local Ford dealer is a small one and doesn't have any alignment that can take large vehicles. I do know a truck shop that I used for tire and alignments with my previous DP on a FL chassis.

I have tried finding what Ford recommends or makes on the F550 chassis but having difficulty. Default searches end up with 150-350 which of course is mostly useless. For any here who took their F550 chassis RV to the alignment shop, do you remember what your alignment numbers were before and after aligning? Also what handling characteristics did you have before and how did the alignment fix that?
Since you have a solid front axle with coils, the same king pin angle as I and solid rear with leaf springs , I will assume the things that worked for me MIGHT help for you. My coach had way too much body roll on uneven surfaces and the coach did move over when trucks passed on two lane roads. Four Sumo Maxim springs took care of the roll and much of the bow wave push. The coach did not track true on smooth surfaces, so I had the springs shimmed to 6 degree caster and the toe in set to 1/16" over 66 inches. Lastly, I felt the dolly pull the rear on tight turns, so I added a rear track bar. The 18,000 lb coach now tracks true in all conditions and has limited body roll on uneven surfaces. 38,000 happy miles!
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.