Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Generators
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #40
lwmcguire

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Large alternators can be a cheaper middle ground for some, particularly if OEM alternator option has enough capacity to meet the need.

Last time I checked, camping trailers outsold motorhomes by quite a bit, and few have generators. It is possible to camp without a generator, particularly when staying in campgrounds with hookups, or camping in cool weather. I personally think it comes down to costs, and expect RV manufacturers believe buyers willing to pay much more for motorhomes are also willing to pay for a generator, whether it gets much use or not.

Motorhomes with second or dedicated alternators that can usually produce between 100 and 200 Amps while driving could make an Onan unnecessary for some, particularly if traveling like a trailer and from campground to campground. Some owners may want to power an A/C and residential fridge while driving their motorhome, but that can be handled by a large alternator. OEM options are normally priced under $1,000, so lower cost than an Onan.

I agree most motorhomes will likely continue to have generators until chassis powertrains are revised to hybrid or electric. For now RV manufacturers will remain mainstream with Onan generators and leave creativity to individuals with unusual tastes or needs.

With mass production, it must be difficult and costly to offer a motorhome with a generator “option”, like Winnebago is doing with Ekko. I would bet that if most buyers go one way or the other, Winnebago will eliminate the other option.
One thing for certain is we are going to see more change and faster change than anytime in the RV history.

The standard alternator for most Diesels is 160 amps so you get a fair amount of juice at a price.

I ran double alternators for years on ranch trucks and you pay the price for belts and alternators plus increased fuel burn.

Lots of changes and intertaining to watch and follow it along

Near our Lake home they are building a new KOA and converting another into a KOA resort plus re-modeling a third so they expect many campers

I do think the trend is towards the lower end weekenders rather than the HD crowd that travels or lives in RV's a significant portion of the year therefore leading to a less optioned and cheaper purchase point

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum