Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Are you ready for a mechanical breakdown

I haven't seen this topic posted anywhere so I thought I'd create a thread.

As some of you have read my recent posts we are currently experiencing our second mechanical breakdown during this trip. The second breakdown being approximately 400 miles after the first. Luckily our rig is still under the manufacturer's warranty (Freightliner) so no expense with repairs (to date). There have, however, been considerable lifestyle changes as a result of the breakdowns.

Prior to setting out on an adventure have you considered what you would do in the event of a breakdown?

Do you carry the resources needed if you are required to relocate from the RV to a hotel for what could be an extended stay while waiting for parts?

If your RV is in the shop for three days to a week how are you going to handle food that is in the rig to include refrigerator and freezer?

Do you know the dimensions of your rig for towing if asked by roadside assistance? This can include, but not limited to, height, width, length, weight, distance from front axle to front bumper, distance from rear axle to rear bumper, wheelbase etc...

Do you have the patience to wait 4 hours or longer for a tow truck to arrive?

How will you handle being told "There are 12 truck drivers that were here before you and they come first"? and then the countdown to your spot which might take one or two days?

Do you have a TOAD or some other means of travel while the RV is being repaired?

How will you handle pets during an extended breakdown?

Do you have the flexibility in your schedule to alter timelines and continue the trip or will you have to eliminate scheduled stops, cancel reservations and readjust as necessary?

How will you react when campgrounds tell you that you do not get a refund of the deposit because you didn't cancel prior to 48 hours out and they don't care why you are not going to be there?

And most importantly, do you have the mental capacity and attitude necessary to survive an extended breakdown without going totally bonkers on all of the nice folks that are doing their jobs to the best of their ability trying to help?

Just thought I'd raise the topic.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum