Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #8
terencgb1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #15798
Since rebuilding the kitchen and basically all the cabinets in the Vegas, a couple of prior van builds, I have been struggling with the draw issues. Personally I dislike the cheap plastic latches they install in RV's as 1) they break often , at least that is my experience and 2) you have to yank on the draw to overcome the latch EVERY time you open the draw. If I think about 'what am i trying to solve for, then its about stopping the draws opening when I am driving. So here is the list of things I have done, am doing to solve for THAT problem.
1) I installed 'soft close' sliders that have a positive latch when closed. These are nice as you can just start the draw closing and it takes over. Good for lighter weight draws in the bedroom etc. - Disadvantage is you have to replace all the draw sliders and if you not good, the draws can get out of level. Also for heavey pan draws a hard corner with lots of weight in the draw can overcome the slider latch and wham! your draw is out
2) Boat latches. These are circular and have a lift up latch that doubles as the pull. Really good as you dont have that initial 'tug' but you do have to drill all the draws / draws and likely you need new draw fronts as you take of the existing handles and get left with the holes. Good for new construction.
3) Pushbutton latch that you push in with your thumb as you go to open he draw. Upside is that you keep your original draw handles but downside is you have to drill all the draw fronts,

The above options are 'all time' solutions that lock the draws 'all the time'. I have tried a few 'for in route only' locking mechanisms.

1) Baby latches. if you get the kind that are 'latchable' in the non locking position you can latch all the draws and doors while traveling and have easy access when not. The down side is that these can take some fiddling to get positioned and if they are the magnetic type sometimes a nail in the draw is enough to mess them up.
2) I have experimented with a newer option that i really like and still needs a little refinement but I think it is the 'final solution' Electromagnetic lock on the back of the draws. I added a series of 12V electro magnets to the back of the cabinet and small metal plates to the back of the draw.When we are driving I turn the magnets on and when we are not driving I turn the magnets off. Its pretty simple and effective. The wiring took a little bit of doing but the DW is happy as there is not banging of draws while driving around corners and no yanking of draws when parked up.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.