Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 05:20 PM   #19
taylorbob1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
our experience has always been with either our KingTailgaterII dual output portable dome, and our fixed 'home' antenna(with the 3 LNB 'eyeballs')... our receivers are all VIP211K models, and work great, whether at the house on the fixed home antenna, or when carrying one or two with us in the RV for the portable dome antenna.

While some of the dome antennas might say they have TWO outputs, you have to understand that the antenna, itself, can't actually drive two SEPARATE receivers, but it CAN provide a signal to the secondary receiver that is the same satellite as the PRIMARY receiver was programmed to. Basically, you keep your main receiver on a channel(s) that resides with your preferred satellite, such as 129 for HD channels, and then you program your secondary receiver, and it can then see channels on the same satellite.
This might get a little confusing, but once your understand 'how' it works, your mind can then get a grip on what it means when someone at the other TV shouts that they have the dreaded 'satellite not found' or similar 'blue screen' error message. It probably simply means that you changed the channel on the main receiver to one that resides on a different satellite. While YOU may see the channel with no problem, the 'other' receiver won't be able to.

Satellite 110 seems to have the 'most' channels, though most in SD
119 seems to have some of both SD and HD, but not near as many channels
129 tends to be ALL in HD, and many times most of your 'local' channels

also, if you want to pick up LOCAL channels where you are camped, and if you are far enough outside of your 'normal' location where your local channels will not show, you can 'chat' or call DISH to update your 'new' zip code as your 'SERVICE ADDRESS'. Then your new 'locals' will be able to be seen by the antenna, since 'locals' are more 'spot beam' signals and not available outside their geographic footprint. Some locals might be on a very small footprint, and some, like ATLANTA, might span even four or five STATES, or parts of those states, since it is so large. I pick up Atlanta and I am 120-130 south of there, and have probably 3 or 4 other 'locals' that I could choose from, if I wanted to move my 'zip code' to pick up those. You don't HAVE to give DISH your exact zip code, but you CAN give them ANY zip code or address where you want to pick up locals, AS LONG AS you are still close enough and in that SPOT BEAM area. Trial and error are the best ways to find out.
Very well explained
And, because of all of the confusion above…I opted to change out my dome dish for a Hybrid Trav’ler.
Yes, it cost me some RV bucks, but it works so well. No problems whatsoever.
Just a touch of the button, finds all three sats quickly, and I can use my Hopper3 from home or a Wally (or 2, or 3).
Now the Wally has two channel capability as well, along with more DVR options with a hard drive.

Bottomline…I’m very happy with DISHnet.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum