Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
See 2016 Axis impressions thread. Below is post #52

2016 Axis noise levels and insulation
I think my link got hijacked (just kidding, some really good discussions) but I will continue with my first impressions of my new 2016 Axis 24.1. This post will concentrate on noise levels and engine insulation. My 2014 Vegas was extremely noisy when I first got it, registering 85 db at 65 mph on the interstate. Turned out that Thor had put virtually no insulation between the engine and the passengers and had left the window pillars open in the engine compartment. When I removed the "dog house" (engine cover) there was no insulation at all. Using 15 sq ft of engine insulation and cooling mat, I was able to get the db level at 65 mph down to a little less than 80 db and significantly lowered the heat transfer from the engine to the coach.

The 2016 Axis had been improved in this area and the db level at 65 mph on our trip home was around 80 db, or about what I was able to get my Vegas down to. When I pulled the dog house today (see picture) I found that a good piece of insulation had been added. In addition another piece of insulation had been added in the engine compartment just forward of the dog house. Unfortunately, that insulation covered less than half of wall between the back of the engine and the dog house. In addition no insulation at all had been added to the walls between the front of the engine and the passenger compartment. It does look, however, that there is an additional wall in the front of the engine between the dashboard and the engine compartment. That does provide some additional insulation.

I added 15 sq ft of noise and heat insulation in the engine compartment. A little went in the dog house, a little more to finish insulating the back of the engine compartment from the passenger area and most to the front of the engine on the fire wall and beneath the dashboard.

Thor did hear the complaints and did something to try and improve the noise levels. Unfortunately, it was very limited and helped only a little. We will see if the additional 15 sq ft of insulation (cost $50) lowers the noise and heat levels much further
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: image.jpeg
Views: 16
Size: 114.3 KB
ID: 1362

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.