Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Broken slide
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
Jimbo56

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I personally don’t wait for warranty stuff. If I can’t fix it myself I’ll get rid of it. After reading horror stories about Schwintek slide mechanisms, I took Judge’s advice. I watched half a dozen how to videos about the system. Then inspected every motor, rack, wiring , and set screws on mine. Caulked up some spots. Made sure rollers were contacting the plates evenly. As Judge said, it’s not if, it’s when. I practiced the manual reset and stuff as well. Also use slide locks. Those little motors holding the slide, around a corner, recipe for disaster. I only extend after leveling. I hold button in and out for count of 5 both ways.

And let me add this, that teeny set screw holding the motor in place is really important. The wiring pointing away from the slide is really important. Sealant where the rack meets the inner wall is important.

This all being said, my question to the OP is this: Do you have unusual wear or gouges on the racks? If so, are they off center? If not, I think you’re ok. My living room slide is out about 3/8 of an inch in front. After checking everything, I think that’s from all the twisting and stress that the chassis movement puts on the box. Maybe I’m wrong but I think a small amount of “misalignment” is going to happen. I had. 5th wheel that had the same slide look and it worked well for 13 years.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum